Whether you’re in a committed relationship or going solo this Valentine’s Day, one way you can spread the love is by showing love to yourself first. Learning how to practice self-love is truly one of the best gifts you could ever receive.
The following self-love exercises will give you a boost in confidence and help you to build a healthy relationship with yourself.
*Post may contain affiliate links. Full disclosure can be viewed here.
“Self-love is a state of appreciation for oneself that grows from actions that support our physical, psychological, and spiritual growth.” – Brain and Behavior Research Foundation
Self-love is the gift that keeps on giving. When you choose to practice self-love you choose to prioritize your happiness and well-being. Self-love is the basis of a fruitful life.
You cannot truly love anyone else if you do not first love yourself. It may sound a little selfish at first, but when you love yourself, those around you will automatically benefit.
The saying is true that you cannot give from an empty cup, and that’s how many people are living. I’ve been guilty of this as well.
It actually took me quite a while to learn how to practice self-love. As a young child, I was taught to give to others. But what I needed to learn was how to share with others. There is a big difference between giving and sharing.
When you GIVE it shows that you are releasing possession of something. In contrast, when you SHARE you are simply contributing to the group.
If you want to SHARE more love with the world around you, you must start with yourself. A full cup is the best cup for sharing.
Valentine’s Day can lead to many people feeling left out of the love fest. Some even opt out of the festivities because it just all seems too commercial.
Personally, what I love about Valentine’s Day is its emphasis on displaying love. What would be even better is if we used this day to emphasize the importance of loving oneself.
You will never feel left out if you prioritize loving on yourself. Here are some ways you can do that all throughout the day.
- Wake up and give your body a nice stretch before getting out of the bed
- Smile and affirm “Today is a great day, and I am glad to be here.”
- Look at yourself in the mirror and give yourself a compliment.
- As you are showering and preparing yourself for the day, listen to some positive affirmations or recite your favorite affirmations aloud or in your mind.
- Style your hair in a way that makes you feel beautiful.
- Put on your best outfit and your fave fragrance.
- Eat a nutritious breakfast while listening to an uplifting podcast
- Set your intentions for the day
- SMILE some more – today is a great day, right?
- Look at yourself in the mirror again and give yourself another compliment. (I just know you have soooo many to choose from).
- Eat a nutritious snack and/or lunch.
- Meditate – this can be as simple as sitting quietly with yourself for five minutes.
- Get some exercise – even if it’s just a quick walk
- Buy yourself some flowers
- Don’t forget to smile!
- Take yourself out on a date
- Treat yourself to a relaxing self-care activity
- Spend time with people you love
- Journal before bed
- Celebrate YOU
- …and don’t forget to smile. 🙂
There are many other ways to practice self-love during this day such as buying yourself a special gift, connecting with nature, and doing a digital detox.
I actually HIGHLY recommend doing a digital detox on Valentine’s Day, especially if you find yourself triggered by Valentine’s Day posts.
Learning how to practice self-love is truly a wonderful gift. Don’t let the love fest end with Valentine’s Day. Make self-love part of your lifestyle.