As parents, we constantly strive to ensure our children are healthy, strong, and happy. And while a balanced diet and regular exercise play crucial roles in their overall well-being, it is equally important to focus on their gut health.
Probiotics have gained immense popularity in recent years, thanks to their numerous benefits for both kids and adults.
And today, we will explore the world of probiotics for kids to help you better understand the benefits and to help you determine if a supplement is a good fit for YOUR child.
So let’s get to it!
*Post contains affiliate links. Full disclosure can be viewed here.
The Science Behind Probiotics for Kids: How Do They Work?
Probiotics are known for their numerous health benefits, including improving digestion, reducing inflammation, and boosting immunity.
For kids, probiotics can deliver all these advantages and more.
Before birth, babies’ gastrointestinal tract is sterile, which means that it has no microorganisms. Immediately after birth and as they grow and develop, they start to acquire various friendly bacteria and yeast strains that protect their gut and support their overall health.
Probiotics are living microorganisms that can supplement these beneficial organisms and introduce new strains into your child’s gut.
Probiotics work by establishing a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut, enhancing the gut’s barrier function, and improving immune function. They may also reduce inflammation, regulate digestion, and help produce important nutrients such as vitamin K and short-chain fatty acids.
When choosing a probiotic supplement for your child, it’s important to consider the strain of bacteria used, the potency of the product, and the dosage instructions. Speak to your child’s pediatrician before starting them on any probiotics.
1. Enhance Digestive Health: Probiotics help ease digestive issues like constipation, diarrhea, and colic, promoting a healthy and regular bowel movement.
2. Strengthen Immune System: A massive portion of the immune system is located in the gut. Probiotics stimulate the production of antibodies, bolstering the child’s immune response against illnesses.
3. Support Mental Health: Emerging research suggests a strong connection between gut health and mental well-being. Probiotics have shown promise in reducing symptoms of anxiety, depression, and ADHD in children.
4. Alleviate Allergies: Probiotics can aid in reducing the risk and severity of allergic conditions such as eczema, asthma, and food allergies.
There are plenty of probiotics on the markets for both kids and adults. However, one probiotic that Major League Mommy readers seem to enjoy are the Hiya Kids Daily Probiotic.
Designed specifically for kids, Hiya probiotics provide a well-balanced blend of strains that support overall gut health and immune function.
Here are some other reasons why our readers claim they like this particular brand of probiotics for their kids.
1. Specifically Formulated for Kids: Hiya probiotics are thoughtfully crafted with strains that are specifically chosen for their efficacy and suitability for children.
2. Kids Like the Flavor: Hiya offers their probiotics in a chewable tablet format, and many kids do seem to enjoy the flavor. This is especially important for picky eaters! As an added bonus, the tablets are made without any artificial colors or flavorings and there is zero added sugar.
3. Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Dairy Free: Hiya’s Kids Daily Probiotic is free of common allergens.
4. Comes With a Refillable Glass Bottle: The probiotics come with a super cute refillable glass bottle for the kids to decorate!
Shop Hiya Kids Daily Probiotic
Both prebiotics and probiotics are types of good bacteria that can promote a healthy gut. While they are often associated with supplements and capsules, there are several foods that naturally contain both prebiotics and probiotics.
Foods that contain prebiotics include:
- Green Bananas
These foods are rich in indigestible fibers that provide food for the healthy bacteria in our gut.
Foods that contain probiotics include:
These foods contain live bacteria that can colonize our gut and help maintain a healthy balance of bacteria.
Should kids even bother taking probiotics? The answer is not a clear-cut yes or no.
While probiotics have been shown to be safe for most people, they’re not necessary for everyone.
If your child is generally healthy and has no digestive issues, they may not need a probiotic. However, if your child has frequent digestive problems, like constipation or diarrhea, or have other issues linked to poor gut health, a probiotic might be worth trying. Just be sure to talk to your pediatrician first.
It’s also worth noting that not all probiotics are created equal. Different strains of bacteria have different effects on our bodies, and there isn’t a standardized dosing system for probiotics. So, if you do decide to give your child a probiotic, do your research on the specific strain and dosage that’s appropriate for them. You should also speak to their pediatrician for help with making a decision.
Ultimately, whether or not your child needs a probiotic is a decision that should be made with the guidance of a healthcare professional. Probiotics can be helpful for some people, but they’re not a cure-all. A healthy diet and lifestyle are still the best ways to promote good health overall.
Prioritizing gut health is essential, especially when it comes to our children’s well-being. Introducing probiotics as necessary into their daily routine can provide numerous benefits, from improved digestion to a stronger immune system and even better mental health.
Hiya probiotics offer a trustworthy solution to support your child’s gut health, but there are other kids probiotics on the market that may be worth trying out as well.
What are your thoughts on probiotics for kids? Feel free to share in the comments!