In today’s digital age, printing has become an essential part of our lives, be it for personal or professional use.
And as a homeschooling Mom who also runs a business from home, printing is DEFINITELY something I do quite often.
However, in recent years, it seems as if the cost of printer cartridges has been on the rise. This has led me to seek out alternative solutions for my printing needs to help cut back on costs.
Among the plethora of printing services available, HP Instant Ink has gained popularity in recent years. And after having several other moms suggest I sign up for this service to use with my HP ENVY Printer, I finally made the decision to give it a try.
In this blog post, I will explore various aspects of the HP Instant Ink service and evaluate whether it’s worth the monthly investment.
*Post may contain affiliate links. Full disclosure can be viewed here.
Turn a Small Space into a Homeschool Classroom Using These Tips
Considering Working from Home? Here are the Advantages and Disadvantages
88 Legitimate Ways to Earn Money From Home
What is HP Instant Ink?
HP Instant Ink is a subscription service offered by Hewlett-Packard (HP), one of the leading brands in the printer industry.
The service allows you to have ink cartridges shipped directly to your home or office, saving you from the hassle of running out of ink and having to manually refill your cartridges.
Printers compatible with this service can automatically detect when you’re running low on ink and notify HP, ensuring that you receive new cartridges in time.
The two main purposes of this service are to:
- Help you save money on printer ink
- Eliminate the problem of running out of ink before you get the opportunity to purchase more.
How Much Does HP Instant Ink Cost?
HP Instant Ink offers different subscription plans based on the number of pages you print per month. The pricing structure (as of April 2023) is as follows:
1.$0.99/month plan: 10 pages per month, with each additional set of 10 pages for $1
2. $3.99/month plan: 50 pages per month, with each additional set of 10 pages for $1
3. $5.99/month plan: 100 pages per month, with each additional set of 10 pages for $1
4. $11.99/month plan: 300 pages per month, with each additional set of 10 pages for $1
5. $24.99/month plan: 700 pages per month, with each additional set of 15 pages for $1
What is the HP Paper Add-On Service?
The HP Paper Add-On service is another subscription offered by HP. This service ensures that you always have enough paper on hand without having to make frequent trips to the store.
How Much Does It Cost for the Paper Add-On Subscription?
The subscription options are as follows:
- +$0.79/month ($1.78 for ink and paper): 10 pages per month
- +$1.99/month ($5.98 for ink and paper): 50 pages per month
- +$3.49/month ($9.48 for ink and paper): 100 pages per month
- +5.99/month ($17.98 for ink and paper): 300 pages per month
- +10.99/month ($35.98 for ink and paper): 700 pages per month
My Personal Experience
I’ve been using the HP Instant Ink + the paper add-on service for six months and have had positive experiences overall. The convenience of receiving new cartridges and paper without having to run to the store is one of the best things ever.
I also love no longer having to worry about running out of ink or paper at inopportune moments. Additionally, the flexibility of the subscription plans allows me to choose the most cost-effective option for me.
Is HP Instant Ink Worth it?
HP Instant Ink can definitely be worth it in many situations. But let’s explore the pros and cons below to help you make the best decision for your unique needs.
1. Cost-effective: If you print frequently, HP Instant Ink can save you up to 50% on ink costs compared to purchasing cartridges from a store.
2. Convenience: No need to worry about running out of ink or store trips, as the service monitors your ink levels and sends you new cartridges before you run out.
3. Environmentally friendly: The program encourages recycling used cartridges by providing prepaid envelopes.
1. Not suitable for infrequent users: If you don’t print often, the cost savings might not outweigh the subscription fee.
2. Restricted to specific printers: The service is only available for eligible HP printers.
3. Limited to the number of pages: If you exceed your monthly plan limit, you’ll be charged additional fees.
Is the HP Paper add-on service worth it?
HP’s paper add-on service allows you to receive branded paper alongside your Instant Ink cartridges.
This add-on may be worth it for those who heavily rely on high-quality paper for printing photos or professional documents.
However, for everyday printing needs, opting for lower-cost, third-party paper might be a more economical choice.
How to enroll in HP Instant Ink + Free Trial
1. Check if your printer is eligible: Only specific HP printers are compatible with Instant Ink. You can check the compatibility on the HP Instant Ink website.
2. Select your plan: HP offers various plans based on your printing needs as I mentioned earlier. So make sure you select one that is most appropriate for you.
✨Get a 1-month FREE TRIAL by signing up HERE. ✨
So what are your thoughts? Have you tried the HP Instant Ink Service? If so, I would love to see your personal reviews for HP Instant ink. Does something like this sound useful to you? Feel free to share in the comments!
You can absolutely use your HP Printer without opting into the optional instant ink or paper add-on service.
Many of the new HP printers come with a six-month free trial for HP Instant ink. You can also get a 1-month free trial by signing up here.
Your instant ink will be scheduled to arrive before you actually run out of ink.
You can contact HP support via chat, Facebook Messenger, phone, or email.
You can log in online to cancel or modify your HP instant ink subscription.