DIY outdoor Christmas decorations are homemade decorative items that people create to adorn their outdoor spaces during the holiday season. “DIY” stands for “do it yourself,” indicating that these decorations are crafted by individuals rather than purchased ready-made from a store. These decorations can take advantage of low-cost materials and items you may already have at home, allowing you to achieve a festive look while keeping to a modest budget.
*Post may contain affiliate links. Full disclosure can be viewed here.
Creating DIY outdoor Christmas decorations can involve many activities, from simple projects like painting rocks to look like Christmas gifts to more complex endeavors such as constructing large light displays or building a wooden Santa sleigh. The idea is to use your creativity, along with materials you may already have at home or can buy inexpensively, to add a festive touch to your home’s exterior.
Ribbon Candy Decoration
Create a sweet holiday statement with ribbon candy decorations that can easily adorn your outdoor spaces. Made from durable materials to withstand the elements, these colorful twists mimic the classic holiday treat and add a playful touch to your yard. Making your ribbon candy decorations can be a fun and festive project for the Christmas season.
Here’s how you can create DIY ribbon candy decorations for your outdoor space:
- Colored paper, fabric, or weatherproof ribbon (choose materials that can withstand outdoor conditions)
- Glue or a hot glue gun (for weatherproof options)
- Wire (flexible but sturdy enough to hold shape)
- Wire cutters
- Clear varnish or weatherproofing spray
Ombré Bells Swag
An Ombré Bells Swag is a decorative piece that features a gradient color transition, known as “ombré,” applied to a collection of bells that are strung together. This gradient can range from light to dark or from one color to another. The swag can be hung outdoors as part of a festive Christmas display, offering visual appeal and the gentle sounds of ringing as the breeze catches the bells. Here’s what you need to create your own DIY Ombré Bells Swag:
- A collection of metal or plastic bells in various sizes for a dynamic look
- Spray paint in at least three shades to create the ombré effect (choose colors that transition well, like silver to blue or red to pink)
- Protective gear for spray painting (gloves, mask, and eyewear)
- Twine, ribbon, or a sturdy string for hanging.
- Clear coat spray (optional) for additional weather protection
Outdoor Candle Lamps
Outdoor candle lamps can add a warm and welcoming ambiance to your home’s exterior during the festive season. They mimic the soft glow of traditional candles but are designed to be more durable and safe for outdoor conditions. These DIY luminaries can be made with various materials and designs to match your outdoor décor theme, providing a welcoming walkway for guests and carolers. Here’s a simple DIY approach to creating outdoor candle lamps that can line a pathway, illuminate a porch, or add a festive glow to your garden.
- Mason jars or any sturdy, transparent container
- Sand or gravel
- Candles (pillar candles work well, or you can use LED candles as a fire-safe option)
- Wire (if you plan to hang the jars)
- Wire cutters and pliers
- Paint or decorations (optional)
Decorating with window clings
Decorating with window clings is a delightful way to spread Christmas cheer by creating festive scenes on the windows of your home. These clings can be easily seen outside and add to the overall outdoor decorations. Making your window clings is a fun DIY project, and it’s also a great activity for families. A DIY window can reflect any aspect of the holiday season and add a charming backdrop to your outdoor scenery.
- Puffy paint or glass paint
- Plastic page protectors or wax paper
- Christmas-themed templates or stencils (like snowflakes, Santa, reindeer, etc.)
Candlelit Outdoor Lanterns (Paper Bag Luminarias)
Candlelit outdoor lanterns, particularly paper bag luminarias, are a beautiful and time-honored tradition that can create an enchanting atmosphere for your outdoor Christmas decorations. Paper bag luminarias, also known as farolitos, are a beautiful and traditional way to light up the holiday Luminaries’, commonly called farolitos, are little paper lanterns with an inside light source that are frequently used to line driveways and walks or to brighten up outdoor areas for special events.
Custom DTF Layer Transfers in your holiday decor can elevate the look of simple decorations such as Candlelit Outdoor Lanterns This innovative approach can add a personalized touch to a classic holiday tradition, making your display stand out with minimal cost and effort.
- Paper bags (preferably white or light-colored for a glowing effect)
- Sand or kitty litter
- Votive candles or LED tea lights (for a fire-safe option)
- Punching tool or scissors (for creating designs on the bags)
- Lighter or matches if using real candles.
Hanging baskets at the door
Hanging baskets at the door can be an inviting addition to your outdoor Christmas decorations, adding both color and a touch of nature to your festive display. Replace the usual wreath with an innovative hanging basket at your door. Filled with seasonal greenery, ornaments, and lights, this alternative decoration invites a fresh and vibrant look to your home’s entryway, greeting guests with a basketful of holiday joy.
- A sturdy hanging basket with a liner (coconut coir liners give a natural, rustic look)
- Fresh evergreen boughs (pine, fir, or spruce) or artificial greenery
- Floral foam (if using fresh plants)
- A variety of decorations such as pinecones, artificial berries, baubles, and ribbons
- Battery-operated fairy lights or LED candles
- Wire and wire cutters
- Optional: additional elements like small ornaments, dried fruit slices, cinnamon sticks, etc.
Embracing the DIY spirit for your outdoor Christmas decorations not only personalizes your festive display but also creates an opportunity for family bonding and the joy of creating something together. Each of these ideas offers a chance to bring your unique vision to life and start new traditions that will illuminate your home with the magic of the season for years to come. With a little imagination and some crafty flair, your outdoor space can become a winter wonderland that captures the essence of Christmas.